Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Physics 139b...

Courses offered in the fall of 2019 which are related to this class are, primarily, Physics 139b and a course on quantum computing. I think they will both be really interesting classes.
   139b will be taught by Wolfgang Altmannshofer and is the direct sequel to this class. As such, Prof Altmannshofer and I have discussed explicitly what will be covered in each class
and so there will be really good articulation between the 139a and 139b. In 139b you will learn about angular momentum raising and lowering operators in the context of studying relativistic corrections to the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen, including a correction to the KE (a p^4 term) and the interaction between the spin of the electron and the field of the proton (sometimes know as spin-orbit coupling). I think 139b will be an extremely interesting class and encourage you to take that if you can.
    The course on quantum computing is being taught for the first time, so I don’t know too much about that.  I believe it will also be very interesting. I highly recommend both those classes.

draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midterm 2 solutions

Here are solutions to midterm 2. I see that I did not write it in the solutions, but it is helpful for sp2 type integrals to recall that \(\...